The Cemeteries & Crematoria Association of South Australia (CCASA) is committed to managing its operations in an environmentally sustainable and responsible manner.
The policy aims to reflect CCASA’s commitment to the protection, enhancement and rehabilitation of our natural environment and the promotion of sustainable cemetery development and operations.
CCASA is committed to the following environmental principles and practices:
- Integrate sustainable environmental management and best practice into business processes and decisions.
- Actively seek contractors and service providers that share our commitment to protecting the environment. Suppliers/contractors shall abide by all federal, state and local environment laws. CCASA shall favour suppliers/contractors that support energy conservation, recycle and properly dispose of waste.
- Complying with all relevant legislative and regulatory requirements, with the Commonwealth and State Governments’ environmental policies and initiatives and with prevailing environmental standards.
- Operating in an ecologically sustainable manner by focussing on sustainable water supplies and consumption, protecting our biodiversity, securing sustainable energy sources and minimising waste.
- Seeking and supporting creative solutions to environmental issues.
- Explore opportunities for improved environmental awareness within our relationships with members and stakeholders.
- Purchase goods and services in accordance with sound environmental considerations, practices and life cycle assessment.
- Periodically review and revise our Environmental Code and procedures to maintain their relevance.
- Clearly communicating our Environmental Code and environmental responsibilities to members, contractors and the public.
Best practice: A technique or methodology that, through experience and research, has proven to reliably lead to a desired result.
Ecologically sustainable: To meet the needs of the present without comprising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Compliance: The act of complying with relevant legislation, a request, or demand; acquiescence.
It is the responsibility of the CCASA Board to implement this policy and continually review our procedures to ensure compliance with the environmental policy.
All members are required to carry out their responsibilities (within limits of their knowledge and resources) in accordance with this policy and to report any environmental concerns regarding cemetery operations and developments they have to the CCASA Board.